I'd bought this wooden headboard and footboard on Craiglist for $20. The catch was, the owner no longer had the side rails to hook the two together. But I was sure IKEA would have something. They didn't and I lost momentum, it sat.
After a few google searches, I found some pieces at Amazon.com that appear to be perfect for the job. With the attachment pieces ordered, I moved onto the fun part, painting!
One recent Saturday, (the weekends have been so nice) I showed Kya this post from Under the Sycamore. Apparently this paint offers, no sanding with a durable, non-toxic hard finish, I was sold. And since turquoise/teal has been her color lately she was game too.
I mixed three 8oz bottles together for a muted turquoise. Two coats and about two hours later, it was done and I had a full 8oz remaining to use again.
The finish is shiny without being glossy. It's definitely more blue than I would have chosen, but its really grown on me.
The next step for this room is a full sized bed. We priced a few this weekend, so we should be able to wrap up the changes in this room pretty soon. I'm excited to get something crossed off.