Friday, April 10, 2015

We all family

 

PJ 

bwahahahaa!!  When I hear Family Reunion, I think of Poetic Justice and Cuzn Pete.  Finding this pic definitely made me a little nostalgic.

Anyhoo, Haik’s family does a family reunion every year, on both sides of his family. We don’t always make them, but we always try to hit at least one.  This year they are hosting the reunion locally, so there is lotsa planning going on and this weekend the meeting is at my house. Like tomorrow.

It’s all very casual, but all week I’ve been cleaning the nooks and crannies, you know those areas you mean to get to, like behind the coffee maker, windowsills and under the dog bowls.  The funny part is, when my family comes, they know the routine, what you see is what you get.

On top of the cleaning, we need something for these folks to eat.  All week I’ve been thinking, what am I gonna feed everybody?  How many people…how many kids….I want to keep it as simple as possible and here’s what I’m thinking hotdogs.   I kid, I kid, small plates, tapas, ya know appeteasers:

Mini Pizzas

Mini pizzas: Quick, easy, inexpensive and fresh. I make these all the time for the fam.  Bonus, they reheat really well.  The only con is you have to remember to take the rolls out in the morning, so they have enough time to rise, I’d say you need a good 6 hours.

Nachobar

Nacho bar: I tried the crockpot version for the Superbowl but it kept burning my cheese.  I have to do something different this go ‘round, cause I still really like the idea.  I mean look at all those toppings!!  Salsa, black beans, jalapenos, green onion, chicken, sour cream, guacamole and melty cheese. The best part, customize-able, e’erybody can chose what they want and pile it on. 

This was unintentional, but notice how both of these dishes can be meat-free. With all the dietary needs and restrictions these days, you just never know. 

And just in case you have an event soon and need ideas.  Here are a few other tried and true favorites:

Buffalo dip, it’s not pretty but it’s a crowd pleaser.  If possible, use fresh cooked chicken instead of canned, serve with celery and tortilla chips.  Keep the recipe handy cause you will get asked.

Buffalo wings, just the smell makes my mouth water.  I like them extra crispy, seriously, just say no to soggy wings.  And if you need a new flavor try this sauce, around here they call it hot and honey.  These look really good too.   

Oh well, wish me luck.  I hope you have a great weekend, it might actually hit 70 degrees here tomorrow and I can’t wait!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck hosting. Your menu ideas sound quick and easy, but sure to please. I'm having a bunch of girls over next Saturday and beside the obsessive cleaning the menu scares me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol... I haven't seen Poetic Justice since it first came out years ago. I don't even remember what happened in the movie anymore, except for that one guy that kept combing his hair. I'll have to see if I can find that movie so that I can watch it again. By the way, your menu sounds great. I hope your family reunion was a success. Have a wonderful week... :)

    ReplyDelete