Tuesday, January 27, 2015

It’s IKEA Kallax for us

According to Apartment Therapy, it’s the World’s Most Popular bookcase.

It all started while looking through the IKEA 2015 catalog.  I’ve always liked how they design some of their products with clean sides.  The flat sides allow you to use multiples of the same item and you will see that pattern repeated throughout the catalog and store displays. 

So, I started looking on Pinterest.com for Billy multiples and hacks.

more lower billys cropped

lower billys

tall billys

Sidenote: how cute is that dang chair!

tall open billys

I liked them short.  I liked them tall.  IKEA Billys, I liked them all!

I started to consider the floor to ceiling option, especially with the closed bottom halves, but then I realized those top shelves would require dusting.  And I know me and I know I don’t need any deterrents to keep me from dusting.  So the tall options, were out. 

While looking at hacks, I started to run across images of the Expedit (now Kallax).

6ct expedit

5ct Expedit

4ct Expedit

And I really liked the flexibility of the Kallax. 

After I taped out the two options in our living room, what became the deciding factor was the size.  The Billy’s didn’t offer much in overall size for the room and I really wanted the most bang for the buck.  For me, the Kallax offered some chunk on the cheap.  And with the built-in chunkiness, there was less need for IKEA hacking.  Sort of a fix it and forget it, option.  Sold.

We had about 4-6 inches of snow Friday night into Saturday morning, the Hubbs got out there early, cleared the way and we were off to IKEA.  The Kallax’s are in the building, yall!

Photos: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I haven't visited your blog in a while so I've been skimming through a few of the posts. I love Ikea and I love seeing how different bookshelves are styled. I just scrolled through soaking up all the inspiration from each of the pictures. As a matter of fact, I just put up a post about Ikea's faux sheepskin rugs. Have a great weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete