Monday, May 2, 2011

Sunday DIY Day

 

P7231452

My sister bought my daughter this dress (from Target) on clearance. 

etsy shop

And I really liked this print on etsy (seller is artbyerinleigh)

P7231453

It gave me an idea for the Rainbow Room

So I traced it (to make a pattern piece) and got to cutting scraps of old t-shirts/pillowcases/fabric and stuff I had around the house.

P7231454

Cut out your homemade pattern pieces while you watch a VCR movie, (Notting Hill and Jurassic Park if you’re like me)

P7231456

Stitch the two layers together if you have a machine.  If not use Wonder Under, it’s like hem tape but you can use it for any shape.  Good stuff. 

Lay it out.

P7231458

Lay it out, again and again til you love it.

Use some Wonder Under on each petal so all you have to do is iron them down.  And apply to a boring white pillow case wherever you want.  Oh the beauty of Wonder Under.

Insert your pillow and call it done.

P7241463

I made the yellow pillow cover yesterday too.  (With more Wonder Under).

I got the inspiration from this dress at bodenusa.

miniboden dress

It’s $54.  She’s 4, no think so. 

Originally, I tried the design on a ripped canvas as wall art. 

P7231459

But I never really luvd it.  Great concept.  Poor execution?

Then I saw a post about bolsters over at the Nesting Place (good home inspiration blog).

bolster25_thumb3

This was a DIY, so I mentally saved the image and process, cause I like ez.

And yesterday I pulled the flowers from that board. 

Made them sticky with the Wonder Under stuff, ironed them unto some yellow fabric (a shower curtain I got from Target on clearance).

P7231460

Wrapped them around a pillow that we never used, it was lonely and sad in the bottom of a closet.  And now it has a home.  I gave it a good home.

P7241464

The XOXOX one I bought from Pottery Barn for $15 or $19, during a free S&H promo.   And the green polka dot one pillow came with her quilt.

So much more to be done in there.  But baby steps.

Kya and I are playing hooky today, daycare is closed so all my chores/errands from yesterday will get done today.  It’s dreary out.  Unexciting.

But that was a my weekend.  How was yours?

Thanks for subscribing.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the rainbow theme! It's coming together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! these items are the cutest!...Its going to really turn out nice. I can't wait to see the final results. Please share pictures!:))

    zainab1
    AuNaturale007.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete