Monday, January 17, 2011

DIY Leave-In Conditioner/Hair Milk…maybe?

 

Every since I made this, I was wondering if it work for a leave in conditioner?

whole jar

So this weekend, I tried it.

But instead of using 3/4 cup of oil, I did an oil blend; a mix of shea butter, cocoa butter, castor oil, coconut oil and sweet almond oil all mixed together (with the beeswax). 

P1151065

Since I wanted the consistency to stay creamy and not go back to the consistency of the butters, I wanted more than half of the oil blend to be made of pourable oils.  (If your no good with math, fyi 3/4 cup = 6 oz….so I made sure 3-3.5 oz were liquid oils.)

Then once it all melted.

P1151066

I turned on the blender (water inside only) already in motion but leave the top open so you can pour in the melted oil blend/beeswax.

P1151067

P1151068

         P1151069

                                    blend baby blend

And I left it to blend a min or so.  It was a pourable delight, my sister was over so she helped get this ACTION flick, ooooh aaaaah.

P1151075

I was happy.

Meanwhile, this is what the fam was doing…

P1151078P1151081

If you have a Wii or Xbox (with Kinect) you have to rent this game for your next family function.  The music goes back to James Brown - Tina Turner - Kris Kross  and Andre 3000 through to Ke$ha – funnee stuff and great exercise, I promise you.  [the game is Just Dance]

Anyway, when I got up in the morning, I wanted to look in on the goods, it was hair day.  This is what I found.

P1161087

It separated. BOOOOO!  I was irked.

But I didn’t wanna quit, so I put back in a blender.  I MacGyvered it so I wouldn’t have to stand there and hold the button  (thank you nice toothpick) and water just ran out….ugh

P1161093

tonight it looks like this….

P1171107

not creamy, but it smells nice and it works.  It wasn’t SNBE Journey Milk (which softens my hair like no other!) and there is still small teeny tiny bits of water separation in it …so I have to say, this DIY still needs tweaking.

I used it and will use the balance too, if it doesn’t go bad.

I tried another mix that I have done before and it sucked too.  It was a bad mixing night, altogether.

P1161094

I used all the jacked up goods and my hair came out like normal.  So I’m happy. I tried to take a picture with the webcam but remember when my hard drive crashed, well I guess that wipes out the webcam software. Bummer.

[fyi – the original lotion recipe is still available here. we used it over the summer, it was diy goodness. not heavy enough for these PA winters though]

This is the longest post of life.

Thanks for subscribing to my madness.

4 comments:

  1. Wow....... so yummy... I want to eat eat eat :)

    Welcome to my blog at: http://blog.soliditytrade.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks like you could be onto something!...keep trying tiffany, because I've often found diy products work just as good if not better then brought items...plus you know exactly whats going into the product. Take care

    zainab1
    AuNaturale007.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dancing game looks like fun. I'm so impressed with your experimenting...you are so much more patient than I would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on somthing similiar too. It needsmajor tweaking though.

    ReplyDelete