Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hair Gelly

(The pics were cut off the first time, so I deleted and reposted not sure how that appears in your reader)

I’ve been using AfroVeda’s PUR Whipped Hair Jelly for sometime. Not until recently did I use it alone and take notice to the luvly reaction to my hair. I did a double take at the label and noticed there were only 6 ingredients, hmmm.



Of course, I wanted to try a remix by Tiff instead of buying more.

(You also need a blender – sorry that isn’t pictured above)

I couldn’t find the sweet almond oil at the regular grocery store, but it was at Fresh Market (some of you may have Whole Foods). I got it online at ebay, but it was actually cheaper at Fresh Market for the same quantity, argh! I also decided against the herbal oil complex, eh, hope it’s not too important.

I started out with:
  • 6oz of Aloe Vera Gel
  • 2oz of Coconut Oil
  • 1oz of Sweet Almond Oil

 I kept adding aloe to try and make it less runny consistency (I used the full bottle of Aloe Vera Gel plus more of what I had left in another jar, but I never added more oil)



 Things were getting drastic, I was out of aloe and hungry…



I was tired of holding the dang button, so I rigged it. I dumped in a capful of the vanilla essential oil, added tape and a butter knife to keep the button down and went and made myself some breakfast.

After a good 7-10 minutes, the entire batch was creamy, thank goodness.



It does not smell as good as Afroveda’s but the texture feels and looks the same. I will have to let you know if it has the same effect on my hair, I will be trying that tonight (it's beau-tee-ful out now, I have to go!)

I think the trick here is more about allowing the blender to whip the oil and aloe together than the amount of aloe you dump in.

Next time, (oh there will be a next time!) I will try:
  • 12oz aloe vera gel, whole bottle (little less than today)
  • 2 oz coconut oil
  • 1 oz sweet almond oil
  • 1/2 tsp – 3/4 tsp of vanilla essential oil (lil more than today)
If you try it, let me know, I’m thinking this is a winner!

Of course, as always, thanks for stopping by Luvlies :)

3 comments:

  1. This is cool!!!. I am not a fan of afroveda products, except the almond ginger it works great in my youngest daughters hair.

    I also have the hair gelly, and didnt like it in my hair. But, I do however love what you have done here:)..keep us posted on your results.

    Take care

    zainab1
    AuNaturale007.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping over to my blog and giving me advice! I am a novice! White girl, straight hair. My daughter's hair is soooo cute and is usually pretty easy for me to do. BUT, it had gotten so dry as it got longer. I'm gonna follow your blog and bug you for help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,I love what you did here. I am dying to see how it worked on your hair.

    ReplyDelete