Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Internet is BACK!

I have a few posts to share.  The first is what happened tonight..

I made lotion – rich and creamy LOTION!

whole jar

You just don’t know, last week I was SCOURING the web look for an ez hair milk recipe, that contained water and didn’t require me to buy some emulsifying *ish I wouldn’t need for anything else.  I found nothing on any of the hair boards.

I ended up biting the bullet and buying Deja’s Hair Milk from BeeMine, it should be here soon.

Anyhoo, yesterday our internet was restored, yay!!  I was catching up on my reader and I stumbled upon THIS link (from craftgossip.com), I had all the ingredients and a little free time tonight, so why not? Tonight was the night.

ingredients 3 ingredients

2 TBSP beeswax

1 cup of water

3/4 cup of pure oil

and you can add essential oils if you like (i have here grapefruit essential oil and don’t tell anyone but also just a scented one…strawberry) this scented mix is just ok…i’d like something a lil more fall and subtle for next time.   

I am the type that doesn’t read manuals and I just try to figure stuff out - and as a result of me constantly skipping out this important information, I normally have to do directions and recipes twice to get it right.  But NOT this time – go Tiff!

The directions on the site were PERFECT.  The longest part was waiting for the beeswax to melt.  And after that maybe 2 minutes to blend up this creaminess.

creamy

Perfect consistency for spreading on your skin.  I always had a problem with DIY mixes that did not contain water, they were just too oily or didn’t spread well.  So far this feels perfect.

secret weapon

This style blender was good, cause you need a blender that holds 2 cups, as well as allows you to pour while it’s blending.  It was a bit messy to clean, but worth it!

For now this is a hit, it’s got me thinking…can I use shea butter instead of the oil and make a hair lotion? or would i use shea butter instead of the beeswax?  I will check the ingredients on the hair milk when it arrives and letcha know. 

No more $12 Eucerin! $8 Aveeno! So long and good riddance.

If you’d like the original recipe and instructions, go here. Good Luck!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome recipe! I am definitely trying this after I get my new hair blender. Between my at home conditioners and my husbands protein shakes we have come to the conclusion that we BOTH need a blender. :o)

    My best, Lynn

    ReplyDelete