Monday, July 19, 2010

A leave-in you can believe-in?

Over the weekend I checked in on my youtube peeps. I found a video where Kimmay creates a PH balanced Leave In.

First, let me say, I am a skeptic, I do NOT believe everything I see, hear, OR read:

GROW LONG HAIR FAST!

(really, umm, no)

LOSE 20 POUNDS IN 20 MINUTES!

(is that so? yeah, not so much..)

WORK FROM HOME EARN $600 a day!!!

(beat it)

However, after watching her video, I thought:

(1) This will extend my $8 leave-in conditioner (I luv to save money)

(2) It will provide proper PH for my hair (that’s a good thing, right?)

clip_image002

Image here:

Don’t take my word for it (or Kimmay’s) do your own research. Seriously. Here is some info I found on the www:

The Coil Review:
Basic solutions open the cuticle layer of hair, allowing its protein structure to be changed. In this state, hair can lose, retain too much water; or even dissolve. Acidic solutions do the opposite, closing the cuticle layer and allowing moisture to be retained.

Ehow:

For instance, if your shampoo is a 4, your conditioner is a 5 and your gel is a 4, you would add these numbers together (13) and divide by 3 (4.3). In this case, you would need to slightly raise the ph. The natural oil in human hair, Sebum, has a ph of 5 - this should be your goal.”

Beauty Secret:
’.. The scale ranges from 0 (strongly acidic) to 14 (strongly alkaline). After a level of 7 represents neutrality. But to understand what products you should purchases, you have to understand what the right level for you and your specific hair type.

If the products have a high pH value, as you are stripping your hair of natural essential oil. In this case, our hair is too dry, making it vulnerable to breakage and damage to others.’

Or check out these threads on the longhair forum:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11527432

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482972&page=3

I tried the recipe last nite on my daughter and will be trying it on myself (as soon as my lazy behind washes my hair).

We currently use Giovanni Leave-In cause it’s easily accessible for us. My mix with this recipe was runnier than hers but I will let you know how it works out for us.

Here’s the recipe:

kimmays lv in

What is our favorite leave-in?

3 comments:

  1. I use kimmay leave in recipe and I love it. Also, using giovanni's direct leave in as the conditioning part of the recipe. This little number is a staple in my regimen !

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Kimmay's leave-in and I really love it. My hair was noticeably softer and more manageable. I'm pretty skeptical as well so I know how you feel about band-wagoning but there are other women on Youtube as well who've given her recipe positive reviews too. I cant wait to hear about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting. Def needed this retaining moisture is getting so difficult. I been meaningto get goivanni leave in too. Soon as I get rid of my other products I'm def revamping.

    ReplyDelete